A great opportunity for an experienced payload engineer to join the Telespazio VEGA UK team, working on a customer site, to cooperate with specialist engineers and support the delivery of a key mission
The holder of this post will contribute to all aspects relevant to the system performance of the Biomass mission up to Level 1 (or further) products in the context of the design and implementation activities undertaken in the frame of the Biomass Project. This includes project internal activities and monitoring/review of the relevant industrial activities.
Responsibilities / Duties
The successful candidate will have responsibilities across a number of areas, including;
- Requirement Engineering:
- Supporting the maintenance and coherence of system level requirements including Mission observation, Biomass End-to-End simulator (BEEPS) and Ground Processor Prototype (GPP), external and internal calibration, ITU and RFI protection requirements.
- Monitoring and critically analyse the system level performance requirements allocation, their flow down to the relevant contributors, the associated margins and their evolution;
- Supporting the payload team for aspects relevant to instrument performance requirements flow-down and instrument performance verification, including relevant models and tools;
- Performance Budgets and
- Maintaining system level performance budgets in coordination with the Biomass Payload and Engineering/AIV sections. Critically monitoring and analysing the compliance of the system performance budgets across the mission;
- Developing and maintaining system performance mathematical models and tools to support the performance assessment;
- Acquiring knowledge of the BEEPS/GPP and conduct performance simulations and sensitivity analyses.
- Supporting the BEEPS / GPP verification and acceptance activities; End-To-End (E2E) calibration and Calibration Transponder
- Verifying and ensuring the coherence of the E2E and external calibration approaches and ground processing implementation with the instrument internal calibration and instrument / system;
- Monitoring and reviewing the Biomass calibration plan and the specification, procurement and verification/validation of the relevant external calibration equipment;
- General Support activities:
- Supporting the definition of calibration/validation and in-flight commissioning plans and the preparation, execution and analysis of the relevant in-flight operations during the commissioning phase;
- Supporting Payload Data Ground Segment (PDGS) reviews for what concerns the SAR processor and L1-L2 processing interface aspects including cross-verification activities of the PDGS operational SAR processor;
- Supporting the interactions with the Biomass Mission Advisory Group (MAG) for what concerns system performance aspects;
Qualifications / Experience
- University Master’s degree, or equivalent, in a relevant physical science or engineering subject
- Demonstrated background and experience in SAR systems, SAR performance/calibration and SAR processing, preferably acquired in a space project environment.
- Background and experience on the specific issues relevant to low frequency, full-pol SAR systems
- Solid analytical skills and the command of the physics and techniques of SAR systems, together with the capability to critically analyse the work performed by industry in the relevant areas, identify problems and propose/instigate corrective actions.
- Proficiency with programming tools and languages relevant to the implementation and maintenance of the system performance models (e.g. MATLAB, Python).
- Good English language skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skill
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively both within a small team and in an autonomous way
- Positive, “can-do” approach
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Closing Date for applications is 28th April 2020.
Location of the position is Noordwijk, Netherlands.
To apply : Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
By sending your CV to email@example.com you give your consent for Telespazio VEGA to hold and process your personal information for the purpose of the application.
Competitive Package covering salary, generous holiday allowance, training plan and more
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.