A great opportunity for an experienced Earth Observation engineer to join the Telespazio VEGA UK team, working on a customer site, supporting end-to-end EO projects as assigned.
The contractor will provide support to Earth Observation Projects in the domain of End-to-end (E2E) Mission Performance covering both software and algorithm aspects. The work will cover the technical definition, procurement and verification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software chain including in particular the Instrument Simulator and the Level 1 Processor Prototype algorithms as well as wider coordination with both internal and external teams to ensure successful delivery of all assigned tasks.
Responsibilities / Duties
The successful candidate will be expected to;
- Contribute to the overall specification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain
- Monitor the development of the Instrument Simulator Software developed alongside external partners
- Review the Level-1 and Instrument Simulator algorithms and input/output interfaces;
- Ensure that the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components and algorithms meet the required functionality and performance, taking into account system, instrument, geophysical model and calibration/validation facility aspects;
- Install, maintain and operate an up to date copy of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software at ESTEC;
- Analyse impacts on the mission performance resulting from deviations during the development programme;
- Ensure the proper verification and validation methods are proposed and implemented;
- Provide necessary inputs for the relevant internal and external meetings.
- Carry out assessment of the delivered scientific processing algorithm in Python.
- Conduct the assessment of the delivered Instrument Quality Tool IQT v2-alpha and its ability to process real instrument data (E.g. PFM Focal Plane SubSystem data , S4 enhanced EM data).
- Carry out the assessment of the delivered Level-1 Reference Processor and perform a comparison of the results with the IQT.
- Develop, implement and validate (complex) key data generation tools for the instrument calibration and performance verification tasks;
- Support the closed-loop testing between the S4/UVN measurement data, the IQT v2 and the calibration key data to demonstrate adequacy, completeness and accuracy of the level-0 to level-1b data processing algorithms and the calibration key data.
Qualifications / Experience
- University Master’s degree, or equivalent, in a relevant physical science or engineering subject
- Significant industrial experience within EO projects, working with international teams.
- Good familiarity with computer programs/languages such as C/C++, Python and MATLAB and with Unix operating system.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Candidate shall demonstrate familiarity with L0 to L1b data processing of optical instrument using CCD technology.
- Good English language skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively both within a small team and in an autonomous way
- Positive, “can-do” approach
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Closing Date for applications is 3rd June 2020.
Location of the position is Noordwijk, Netherlands.
To apply : Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
By sending your CV to email@example.com you give your consent for Telespazio VEGA to hold and process your personal information for the purpose of the application.
Competitive Package covering salary, generous holiday allowance, training plan and more
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.